Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Democracy in the morning

I got to my polling place around 8am yesterday and by 8:35 I was done. The little room was packed, but we were very nicely herded by the election judges. The electronic voting booth varied from all the ones I've used in the past and I've used everything from punching the chad, to a hand ballot, to three or four different kinds of electronic voting booths - I like to keep my hand in, ready to vote in any manner presented. Haven't yet voted absentee, but haven't really had the need. I particularly like going down with all the other registered voters and feeling a sense of community, a sense that my vote is part of the whole vote, that we all come together for this special event, this sacred duty.

Ok, must be off to work, so I will leave off with the ramblings and get you back to your regularly scheduled November Insanity. Oh, wait, that's MY regularly scheduled November Insanity. Not doing so well, but writing every day. Story is in a weird place but then again, week two is starting, and gosh golly if it's not going to get harder.

Best of luck to all my fellow nanoers. Keep on writing!

3 comments:

Rose Ghost said...

Do you not have a postal vote over there? I always think polling booths sound wierd. Like if you choose the wrong candidate all this poisonous gas could come through the ceiling and kill you... methinks I should be spending my imagination on the novel right now but I can't be BOTHERED today.

Joy said...

We have the option to vote "absentee" which you can send through the postal mail or drop off at a polling place on the day of the election.

We also have "early voting" where you can go to a polling place early and cast your vote.

I've always liked to go on Election Day, with all the hoopla, and all the other voters with their "I Voted" stickers.

GirlZoot has quite a bit to say about voting.

Of course this year we had some major issues across Colorado, and across the country, with the electronic booths and such.

Your vision of polling booths are quite vivid, and I'm glad that I'll not be voting for at least another year - give me time to let the image fade a bit. Imagination is good in all forms, besides, comments count as word count, right? And blog posts, too? Please?

Sunrunner said...

I did the early voting. I like the new booths/computer touch screens our county has now. The absentee voting is OK, but it's easy to lose your ballot.