Sunday, February 06, 2005

Television Shows and Netflix

I finally did it; I joined the DVD service NetFlix. I've already got nearly 200 movies in my queue and over 350 discs for tv shows. I like the separate queues you can have, even tho I'm currently the only one who uses this service in my house, I can still separate the tv shows (which take up lots of space with 2 to 6 discs per season or up to 12 for an entire series...) and get my fix of movies and tv episodes (in order no less!).

I don't have cable TV. I used to have free basic cable in my old place. When I moved into my new place over a year ago, I decided that I could afford one new service. I chose DSL. The cable company offered up in my neck of the woods was unknown to me and I didn't want to buy hardware and install a dish and everything. And the nice complex I live in is so new, they don't have an antenna to connect the tv to for better reception. So I have rabbit ears and not even all of the network channels (no WB, some CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, UPN and like 3 home shop network types). And knowing myself, I'd want the shiny digital w/ a tv guide and the music channels and some movie channels which costs more than I care to contemplate.

So now, for a much more reasonable amount, I can rent as many movies as I want, they come in the mail, and I can just drop them back in the mail when I'm done. What marketing genius came up with this idea? I hope they've made a buttload of money off it, because from everything I've heard (I know several people who belong) it's a GREAT service. And it was a lot of fun to fill up my queue (well ok, to put some stuff in there, it's not maxxed out like some people I know...)

No comments: