Sunday, February 06, 2005

Another letter and my 401k

Ok, I received another letter from my Wyoming lady. And two votes to send back a personal letter. I have returned the letters and cards through the postal service, hoping perhaps that the apt number or the address is just a little off and these can be delivered. Here's the deal, if I get another one, I'm going to write a note to the sender and let her know that whoever this woman she is writing is, she does not live at my address and I hope everything can be straightened out.

Two other strange pieces of mail in my box:

I also received a bill from the prior resident that I had received mail for several months ago. It went in the return mail with a note as well.

I also got a nice juicy check from my prior prior company's 401k administrators. I received my quarterly report in January, everything still there, still making a little money, and I know who to contact when I decide it's time to roll everything into my new company's 401k (which I need to start this year). Except, that I got a distribution check for the entire amount of my account (less the vesting they claimed I wasn't due (I was 100% vested, grandfathered in when the company was bought by a bigger one) and less the massive taxes taken out at the time of the disbursement.)

Now, I am not of an age to be expecting to qualify to withdraw from my 401k, nor did I request this disbursement. The only thing I can think of is that they're cleaning up their accounts and I have been separated from this company since late 2000. However, I received NO notice of this and I'm confused and a bit pissed because I had to pay taxes on it; now I can't roll it over w/o penalty; and I had absolutely NO say in this. They have my address, they've been using it to send me the quarterly reports. Nothing I've received from them stated this was a possibility.

Well, I guess tomorrow I'm going to be making quite a few calls (my HR for information regarding 401k laws, the prior company's HR to find out what happened, and finally the lovely 401k administrators.) Hopefully I can get this straightened out and get the money back into the account to be rolled over w/o penalty. *sigh*

No comments: