Friday, July 27, 2007

End of a Decade

~ No spoilers here ~

I finally got my hands on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows after I went out to grab a bite to eat and checked my mail. Instead of UPS as I expected, the USPS delivered my book in the lovely package box at my mail station. Luckily not everyone in the area was waiting for Harry, as we only have four boxes for about 200 homes.

I read it straight through, well, mostly. Around 1 am, I read the same paragraph about six times in a row and decided to go to bed for a little while. Seven hours later I got up, fed myself some Jell-O and a granola bar to keep up my strength, and finished the book by noon.

People who have heard me talking about Harry Potter and how things are going to turn out know I only had two real predictions salient to the outcome of the series. As promised, there are no spoilers here. I will only say, I was 50% right, and one of the outcomes in relation to my predictions made me unbelievably happy and one of them was heart wrenching.

As I expected, I cried a lot throughout the book. I had to replenish my stock of tissues near my big green chair. I'm a softie, so I cried at the happy things and the sad things, lest you think it is just a terribly sad book. It's not. It's dark, but not exclusively.

I've decided to re-read the book at a more leisurely pace, to absorb some of the details I may have missed on the first pass. I've already had a discussion with GZ about some of the themes which I want to revisit. Overall, I'm pleased with the book, my questions are answered and Harry's world is at rest in my heart.

No comments: