Sunday, September 16, 2007

Learning to Listen

GirlZoot turned me on to books on cd a couple of weeks ago. She told me it was like crack, very addictive. When I told her my commute was only around 20 minutes to the office, she waved her hand in dismissal. "Perfect," she exclaimed.

As recommended, I started with a book I knew: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Attwood. I was actually re-reading the book in the flesh so to speak. I filled up my cd player in my trunk with the disks and started to listen.

GirlZoot was right. Audio books act like crack on a bibliophile like me. I'm starting on my fourth book tomorrow. I've listened to two of my all time favorite classic books: The Great Gatsby and All Quiet on the Western Front. Since I've been doing historical novels (or period novels, whichever you prefer) I decided to choose another favorite, Catch-22. Plus, it's a great way to get in some reading during otherwise non-reading moments. Very cool.

I'm almost looking forward to my commute tomorrow.

No comments: