Sunday, January 06, 2008

Big Fun Scary Goals for 2008

In general, I think that New Year's Resolutions rarely work for me, even though I've posted something nearly every year.

The NaNoWriMo folks have been doing Big Scary Fun Goals the last couple of years and I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring. Part of what makes this different (at least for me) is that the goals are quantified and measurable (with the exception of #8). Perhaps this will make a difference.

Here's my list, published on the NaNoWriMo BFS forums as well.

My BFS goals for 2008:

  1. Get surgery to correct hearing loss (scheduled in January!)
  2. Lose 60 pounds (lost 44 pounds in 2007)
  3. Read at least one book a month by the end of the year starting with (in no particular order):
    • His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman
    • Faith of a Writer by Joyce Carol Oates
    • Mockingbird by Charles J Shields
    • A Grand Improvisation by Stacy Shiff
    • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
    • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
    • The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett
    • Dancing with Joy: 99 Poems ed. Roger Housden
    • A Book of Luminous Things: An International Anthology of Poetry ed. Czeslaw Milosz
    • Best American Short Stories 2003 ed. Walter Mosley and Katrina Kenison
    • Isaac Asimov’s Science Fiction Treasury ed. Isaac Asimov and Martin H. Greenberg
    • Telling Stories: An Anthology for Writers ed. Joyce Carol Oates
  4. Write every day using Writer’s Book of Days prompts
  5. Blog at least weekly
  6. Finish & Print By the Light of the Faerie Moon (NaNo 2007)
  7. Win NaNoWriMo 2008
  8. Figure out what career path I want to take

I think those are big and scary enough, and the reading will certainly be fun. Actually putting together this list was fun all by itself.



Happy New Year to all!

No comments: