Friday, May 30, 2008

Fuel Savings

Holy moly! Gas prices are not new news. I just paid nearly $60 to fill up my mid-size sedan. Youch!

I've heard a bunch of different fuel savings ideas. I received the email referred to in this Snopes article. Sometimes it's hard to determine the good from the chaff.

Today is just reporting on the price of gas and oil. Not new news, but still news.

One of my favorite ideas for saving gas is to SLOW DOWN. AAA offers this as one of their tips and I tried this out last night on my 25 mile trip home from Mom's house. I stayed between 40 and 50 mpg and was passed by half of the state. My favorite passing partner was a full size RV trailing a Jeep and a skijet thingy. I don't know how much I saved, but it was kind of entertaining. Hopefully it won't engender vast quantities of road rage (I did keep to the right... I try to be polite).

I've also started carpooling, hopefully twice a week, and I'm involving some of my coworkers in the joy. I've been promising for looking into taking the bus once a week. There are definitely benefits, including gas savings, but I have to balance those with the drawbacks. Keeping it in mind tho.

No comments: