Monday, March 10, 2008

Hear Hear (Reprise)

Friday, I had my six week post op follow-up appointment with my otologist. I took the lovely hearing test, the one in the booth with the tight headphones and the little signal you push with your thumb to let them know you heard the tiny sounds they're sending.

After the test, my doctor told me about what happened in the surgery, since I hadn't seen him after. My first, second and part of my third hearing bones were all immobile. He cut off the top of the third bone (the stapes or stirrup) and the remaining part, still attached to the inner ear, moved. Then, he attached a titanium prosthesis to the remaining bone and hooked it back to the ear drum directly, with a piece of cartilage between the ear drum and the prosthesis to prevent wear. Everything was sealed up with lovely packing and I was sent home with a page full of instructions about what not to do.

After he looked at the new hearing test, he told me that what was once my bad ear had now become my good ear. I have 4 decibels better hearing in my right ear than my left now, which was 10 decibels better than he expected with a 'good' outcome. Also, the hearing in my right ear is now within the 'normal' range. I even impress myself. But really, that's pretty amazing, and I thanked him, still in a bit of shock from the good news.

Everything is still loud and he recommended using ear plugs, especially in loud places (like the bowling alley or the Bon Jovi concert). I've set my Shuffle to have a maximum volume of 50%, and am watching the volume on my mini (it has no preset). I'm still waking up in the middle of the night when one of the boys uses the litter box, but eventually I'll get used to that, especially considering the alternatives.

No comments: