Saturday, March 01, 2008

Overstimulation on a walk with the cat

Well, we just got back from quite an exciting ride.

I've had my AT3 pet stroller for almost two years now. Alec, loves his walks (when the weather is nice; he's not a fan of rainstorms even with the rain guard) and in the recent warm weather we went out for a long walk last week, down behind the railroad tracks and along some open space. We were out for about an hour and Alec loved it; he lay down and watched me for a while, then turned around and watched the world for a while. He's a very mellow rider.

Now, Deke, while he loves sitting in the stroller when it's just in the living room, he is a very vocal and fidgety rider. He does eventually settle down and get into the groove, but it takes several minutes of quiet, non-bumpy strolling to get to that point. This afternoon, I decided to get another long walk in before the snow expected tomorrow. Since we take turns, it was Deke's turn for a ride.

The route to the bike path is along my street, and while it's not usually very busy when I'm driving on it, every time I'm walking along it a car comes about every 45 seconds to a minute, which is loud and not happy making for Deke. However, he did stop crying and started watching out the front by the time we got to the bike path itself. As we came up to the entrance to the open space/bike path, a young kid maybe 12 or 13 came jogging off the path and ran across the street toward the houses there. He looked in a bit of a hurry for a Saturday afternoon.

I began walking down the path and a biker rolled past me at a leisurely pace. I continued, singing along to my Shuffle, when I saw the smoke. The wind was to the north east, not toward us but angled off to the left (we were walking south along the path) and a trail of grey then black smoke came wafted in the brisk breeze. I came around the corner and saw flames in the brush on the far side of the path. The biker had stopped his bike and gotten out his cell phone, which I registered just before I hit send on the 911 I had punched into the phone. I caught up with him, leaving Deke about 30 feet back on the path, and heard him talking to the dispatcher. Apparently someone had already called the fire in and the fire department was already en route. In my opinion, it was probably the kid I saw earlier in such a strange hurry. Good for him, even if he started the fire. Always good to do the right thing. Bad to start fires. Except in approved fireplaces, etc.

The biker continued on and I decided discretion was the better part of valor and I turned around, heading back home the short rather than the long way. The flames when I had come up were about 5 or 6 feet tall. By the time we turned around and left, the fire was taking over a tree that had to be 18 to 20 feet tall and shooting further up in the air. I heard the sirens as I walked back up the path. I hadn't gotten to the trail head before the firemen had cut the locks on the gate keeping motorized vehicles off the bike path so I pulled Deke over into the brush while the fire engine drove past toward the fire.

By now, Deke was pacing inside the stroller and crying a lot. It was not exactly the calm, quiet walk I had wanted for his first walk since last fall. About five minutes from home, he finally lay down in the back close to me. I saw a young couple who had pulled over and climbed onto the railroad tracks to watch the fire returning to their car. They assured me the fire was out. When we got home, Deke leapt out before I got the back door fully unzipped.

Now he's sitting back in the stroller giving himself a much needed bath after such a traumatic experience. I think he'll get over it; his memory isn't terribly long (especially when he's been told no). Next trip will be shorter and quieter, I promise.

No comments: