Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Political musings

Ok, so I got out of bed early and went and voted in this my fourth national election. On the big one, I'm two for three and hoping not to make it a tie.

We've got some pretty hot amendments here in Colorado, including the one to change how we allow the Electoral College to vote. Personally, I am not one to change the Constitution lightly, either for the U.S. or for the state I reside in. And from my understanding, it doesn't take an amendment to change the College, just a state law, which is what we elect state legislators for, right?

Besides my headstrong balking at changing the fabric of our state and national government, the “retroactivity” of the amendment sets my teeth on edge. The last thing I want is to have the election delayed or dragged to a screeching halt because of something that my state did. My fondest wish for this election is not to get my guy in the White House, but to get a president-elect in place before Thanksgiving. Now, I admit I do dearly want my candidate to win, and to have all the elected officials be the ones I voted for, but for peace of mind and family harmony, I passionately desire a quick and honest finish for the election.

And maybe this year, I won’t have to leave Thanksgiving dinner because of a political misunderstanding blown way out of proportion. Maybe I can eat my mashed potatoes in harmony with the rest of the family.

Peace.

2 comments:

girlzoot said...

Potatoes in harmony? The potatoes are singing, or your family sings with potatoes whilst singing?

Joy said...

Yep, it's a tradition that we sing as we eat the potatoes. Very moving, actually, I'm certain you'd appreciate it v. much.