Friday, September 01, 2006

Looking into a long weekend

I think I'm all caught up on the major events and activities of the last few weeks.

Here's where I am today.

We are going to go see my baby cousin (I've got to come up with a better descriptor than that, she's nearly 2!) at Children's Hospital later today. She had surgery to correct hip dysplasia, and will be in a cast from the waist down for 6 weeks, then another half cast for another 6 weeks. The good things here are that it was caught early (imagine 12 weeks in a cast as an active 6 or 8 year old), she probably won't remember this with stunning detail, and even the doctor said it will be harder on the adults than on her. She's an amazingly adaptive and sweet little girl, and I know she'll come though this and still be a sweet, happy little girl.

I took today off, so I have a nice 4 day weekend ahead of me... where I will endeavor to keep my mind off my job. With all that is going on, it sometimes creeps into my thoughts on my time off, and I try not to let it bother me. The other day, tho, I woke up in a start and called myself at work to cancel something I had scheduled by mistake... Fun times!

After visiting the wee one, I will be going to celebrate my nephew's birthday. He just started high school and is now 15 years old (as of Wednesday). He is taller than me (and his mother, and I believe his father as well) and I can still remember him spitting up on me when he wasn't much bigger than a football. I had just started college when he was born and all sorts of memories are swirling around in my noggin, of his previous birthdays, of when he and his mother visited me in my college dorm, of playing video games, and board games and laughing and watching this incredible boy grow into the young man he is now. And I am honored to be one of the privileged few friends invited to the family dinner tonight.

One last thing, I had a very strange dream last night. Girlzoot and I were mudding on the old HLII MUD. Somehow, instead of just colorful text, it was live action as well, some sort of combination that may have been just part of the dream. Anyway, one of the elder gods was helping Girlzoot and me gain in the attributes of our class, which for my part involved me being humiliated but remaining true to my honesty. Once I was humiliated to death (in the game) I raised my attribute and resurrected in a room called Up on Altia's Rooftop. I tried to read the text of the room (it was created for and by Altia when she attained godhood back in the day) because I wanted to save it. Well, things started happening, as they do on the mud, and the text either never showed or it scrolled by too fast to read. When I was recalled (by the same elder god) I met Girlzoot (in the live action part of the game) and told her what happened.

Ok, I'm off to shower and dress to go see the wee one. Enjoy your holiday weekend, everyone!

2 comments:

girlzoot said...

Wow, how I've not thought of that mud in forever. I had a river rock when I became a god on that mud.

It was a quiet, but nice night for the boy, which is what he wanted.

Joy said...

No kidding, me either. The whole thing was both surreal and completely sane, especially since you were there with me. I remember your river rock now that you say it.

I really enjoyed the boy's night. He looked really happy and totally himself. You done good. And so has he.