Saturday, August 19, 2006

A Boulder Day

Today was the first day I got a chance to attend the Boulder International Fringe Festival up in beautiful Boulder Colorado. As I drove in along Highway 36, at an outrageous speed, I crested the big hill that opens into the Boulder Valley. The sun was out and my breath caught in my throat. I had forgotten how stunning the view coming into the valley is and for a moment I missed my 20 mile commute into the People's Republic. Then I came back to reality and just enjoyed the view.

With the super spiffy directions from DJ, I managed to find a parking spot not too far from the Dairy Center for the Performing Arts where the first performance was scheduled. The box office didn't have the Frequent Fringer pass I wanted to purchase, so I had to bum a punch off of DJ's frequent fringer pass. The fine folks at the front turned a blind eye to our slight of hand passing the card between us.

The first show we saw was A.C.E. Comedy. It was a three person show with an American, Canadian, and an Englishman. They had cute Scrabble letters on their shirts (which previous audiences took for chemical symbols, a disturbingly intelligent thought completely devoid of cultural knowledge). The show was fricking funny, at one point bologna and American cheese and mayo took part in an oddly fascinating way. Much laughter abounded.

After the fun improv comedy set, DJ and I decided to catch a dance performance next, which happened to be an hour later. We took a walk down to the local *bux and had some icy fruity drinks (mocha raspberry and bluberry non-coffee yumminess). DJ bought mine, which was very sweet (thanks again!) and we chatted about random stuff, the best kind of chatting. We walked back to the Dairy in a light rain, passing a farmer's ditch that fascinated me. I always have had a fascination with running water, and when I was young, we lived across the cul-de-sac from an irrigation ditch where I spent many pleasant summer hours both by myself and with friends.

As we reached the Dairy, Jimmy Hogg, the star of one of the shows Curriculum Vitae, handed us postcards for his show and asked us to come see him at the Trident. I already wanted to see the show, and it's always nice to be asked personally (even if it was kind of a drive by). I purchased my pass and we played the pass the pass game again (to balance the scales).

Twitch, performed by a dance troupe of seven women, had several different pieces. My favorites included the first piece with four dancers all over the stage, doing balance work off each other, and times when their arms or feet moved so fast purple tinged their skin tones. Also, the final piece, three scenes of the corporate world, where the performers went from full business attire (including the omnipresent tie) to completely throwing away the tie as the last vestige of corporateness and jumping thought the fourth wall before the lights fell. I also enjoyed the solo performances, one woman told the story of where she came from with words and dance, and another broke one of the cardinal rules of performance by having her back to the audience the entire time. She looked like a swan at times, just moments from taking off into the great blue yonder.

I picked up a full schedule and we spread it out on my trunk (watched by the heffalumps and woozles in my back window) to determine what other shows we wanted to see. We're probably going to see something together tomorrow as well.

All in all, I quite enjoyed myself. I adore live performance, and the company was marvelous.

3 comments:

Ian said...

Sounds like a way fun day!

Ian

Anonymous said...

I *knew* there was something cool in Boulder this weekend, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what! Le sigh. We couldn't figure out what to do, so we ended up staying in and watching South Park.

Joy said...

It was really fun!

Mia - it's going on through next weekend, check it out. I'm having a great time and the venues are really cool as well.