Friday, August 11, 2006

Road Trip

I took today off of work, and managed not to get dressed until after 5. After some reading (and falling asleep while reading), surfing the net, talking to Girlzoot, and petting the kitties, I decided I was hungry and it was time to get moving. While chatting with Girlzoot, she suggested taking a drive. This suggestion stuck with me, because after a relatively quick dinner at Red Lobster, I got on I-25 North and just kept driving.

As I drove, I had Bowling for Soup as company, and I thought how nice it was to just drive, not have somewhere to be at a certain time, just to drive. The lure of the open road is quite attractive and I enjoyed watching the sun go down as I drove with the window down and my hair blowing all around. The landscape was familiar. When I went to school at CSU, I drove the highway at least twice a month. Some of the landmarks / businesses had change, but most of the way felt the same. Now, rumble strips lined both sides of the road, and about 10 miles north of home, a little fence ran in the median to prevent people from crossing it to the other side. I suppose they're serious about the signs stating "Median Crossing Prohibited". Who knew?

As soon as I passed my own exit, I knew where I was heading, and today it felt right to be going back to my old stomping grounds in Fort Collins, home of the CSU Rams. Kerri and I spent a lot of time in the four years I attended CSU, both at the dorm and in the two places she lived in off campus. And since I've been thinking of her all day, a trip down memory lane seemed like a good idea.

I got into town before the sun completely set, and drove up Mulberry to Wheedbee. The last house Kerri lived in college was just off Wheedbee and Myrtle. This was the house we played Secret of Mana for hours instead of studying, painted the ceiling, celebrated my 21st birthday with a bowl full of fuzzy navels (I couldn't drink orange juice for months after), where I became Goddess of the Yard (for one night only), and where she had the best graduation party complete with an ice block for shooters and a gaggle of old friends and new faces. We scrubbed jello shots out of the carpet there, and smoked our first cigarettes on the front porch. As I drove past, thoughts and images came to me of the memories and times I spent in the little white house with green shutters. It looked exactly the same as it had 12 years ago when she drove off in her black 4Runner with the dogs in the back and her dad sitting next to her.

After I drove by, I swung back around to Mulberry and went to the 7-11 we used to frequent. The clear plastic lids for the Big Gulps (with or without a cape) are not new, but back in the day, we used to carve our initials in the translucent plastic lid so we could tell who's was who's when we got back to the little house on Myrtle. After grabbing some gum and a drink (putting my initial on the lid in honor of the memory) I swung through Old Town and headed for Walrus Ice Cream, the best ice cream ever. Back when I was in college, it was right on College (basically Main Street) but I think shortly before or after I graduated they moved a block west, just off Mountain. After circling the one way streets for about 10 minutes, I finally just laughed and pulled into the pay parking lot which did have a few spots. I could remember circling the Corbett parking lot every night looking for a spot, and the night of the Billy Squier concert, Kerri was driving and we couldn't find a spot in our lot or remotely near the dorm. Surprisingly the charge was only $0.50/hour, excessively reasonable. Walrus didn't have my favorite (Cinnamon) but I had a nice scoop of strawberry in a chocolate waffle cone which I ate in my car listening to P!nk. Quite tasty.

Next door to Walrus, the Rio Grande has a back porch area gated off under a big arch. Kerri used to love going there, the food was good, the margaritas were really good, so good that there was a 3 margarita limit. I also remembered the Spring Break of my senior year when Shaych and I went to the Rio for dinner. I ordered a margarita (what the heck! I thought) and the waitress asked if Shaych wanted one as well. He said he did but had left his id at home so he'd just have a virgin margarita if that was ok. Well, no, it wasn't, but how old was he anyway? By the end of the evening, he had imbibed his own margarita and mine to boot. Suffice it to say, there is a reason for a 3 margarita limit... But we had fun and talked about the most outrageous things that night.

I decided to take a spin around the Oval then head to my old dorm for a bit of nostalgia. When I got onto campus at the Oval, it had gotten pretty dark. Oddly enough, there were tents and awnings pitched with a bunch of empty animal crates (the big metal bar kind). Apparently some sort of bazzar had happened today, and people were either bedding down for the night or packing up to leave. Part of the Oval was blocked to traffic so I ended up driving on the east side of campus, past the building that was reputed to have stairs ending in nothing and doors that opened to the open air. Now, I'm not sure I believe that, but I remember the story from my days as Campus Mail Delivery.

I made my way back out to Laurel and west toward Corbett Hall, conjoined with Parmalee at the kitchens (where I used to work). I entered the parking lot and circled around, pleased at all the available parking. I slid my car into my favorite spot, right in front of my old room H107, the sweetest single on campus. I had my own entrance separate from the rest of my hall, a nicely sized room, and my own bathroom (the best part, I didn't have to share with any neighbors). I also didn't have any upstairs neighbors, I was under the lounge between A and H halls, so it was blessedly quiet. I got out of the car and wandered up to the door leading into the dorm. Instead of a big lock, a pass card controller rested next to the door, and a nifty call box (like those in some apartments where you have to be buzzed in) was right outside the door. When I was in school, it was before the big cell phone boom (I didn't have one til years later, and it was still 15oz and clunky as all get out) and if you wanted to get in, you had to have your key or know a friend was coming down to get you. Yanno, uphill in the snow both ways and all.

I stood beneath the window where I used to shout up to Shaych to play something, anything, and play it loud so I could hear it. I couldn't smoke in my room, so I would hang out outside and chat with him in his room or he would come down and join me, enjoying a brief respite from the many hours of study and paper writing. I smiled as I walked under the underpass and into the courtyard. Corbett is the biggest dorm on campus, and at the time (and I imagine to this day) is also the football dorm. It's shaped like a big D with two wings flaring off by the kitchen. In the center of the D is a huge courtyard with a sand volleyball court, concrete basketball full court, and a grassy area with several huge trees. By now, it is full dark, and school is not in session yet, so I'm a bit wary, but I wandered in and sat down for a bit and enjoyed the warm night, thinking about my old room and the many many times I crossed the courtyard to go eat or pick up mail or meet someone. I thought fondly of the first time I met Shaych at the mailboxes, his warm smile and friendly manner invited me into his circle of friends. We walked across the courtyard, mail in hand, and went up into his single suite, catty-corner to mine one floor up. He was building a montage on his wall and we talked about music and politics and Madonna among other things. Since that day, he has been one of my dearest friends.

I had one last stop to make, so I gathered myself and drove up North Drive and headed toward Elizabeth Street. Campus West looked as lively as ever, the Subway still a staple of the area, with a new Qdoba and McD's. The little mediterranean food place I loved was gone, and I saw something had taken over the downstairs spot where Marshak's was until the flood of 97 destroyed the merchandise. They reopened down in Old Town and I just learned they closed for good in October 2005. I played my first ever MtG Tournaments there and bought my first serious comic book series there.

When I got to Prospect, I turned west and headed down the dark road that had few streetlights (after the blazing bright lights on Shields, this was sort of a blessing). When I got close, I had to start looking at street signs. Azalea is a winding street that loops from Prospect up to Overland. I found the correct turn and drove past a very quiet neighborhood to the little townhouse that Kerri moved into just before finals our freshman year. We had recruited Jon, the pet store guy and all around fine fellow, to help move the 55 gallon fish tank Kerri had started in her dorm room (and purchased from Jon earlier that year). Kerri's new roommate had a female basenji and during the year she lived in the place on Azalea, she had a litter of four pups, one of each. Male and female red and white and male and female tri-color. Reeses, Caramello, Snickers and Junior Mint (could you tell they were on a diet when the naming happened?)

After my final drive by, I went back to College and drove down the main strip out of town. The local market had been bought out by King Soopers, and there was a Whole Foods right there as well. I waved to the mall where we spent many many nights buying music and visiting Jon. I noticed all the chain restaurants that popped up, Applebees, Olive Garden, Lone Star. As I made my way to the highway to head for home, I saw the moon hanging on the eastern horizon. It was huge and a golden yellow-orange and it followed me all the way back. Weird Al got me home again, and I thought of the time Kerri had bought walkie talkies so we could be connected as we caravaned home for winter break. I told you it was before cell phones...

All in all, I expected this trip to be more emotionally draining than it was. Mostly I smiled and didn't even think to shed a tear. To tell the truth, I really enjoyed my trip and I think it was a great idea. Thanks, Girlzoot.

4 comments:

Kevyn said...

:) I often remember our time at CSU. Thank you for including our memories in your drive today... we should get together soon ;) *huggs*

Joy said...

We should get together, I'd enjoy that. All of my memories on Friday brought a smile to my face. I felt quite blessed to have such an abundance of friends and good times that can still bring me such joy, even in the midst of sorrow. Thank you for bringing those memories to life.

girlzoot said...

That sounds lovely.

What a wonderful trip down memory lane. I missed you a lot this weekend.

Joy said...

It really felt good, and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. Thanks for the idea.

I missed you a lot, too. In some way you were with me anyway.