Saturday, August 26, 2006

One final look

Saturday I drove into a wet and rainy Boulder to see the last show on my punch card. After much deliberation, I chose to do a repeat performance.

I parked at the Library (huzzah for free parking!) and walked by Boulder Creek under Broadway and up to 13th to the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art. I got my last punch for Arachne and wandered through the muesum until the show was opened. I got a second row seat along the back, where I could see the entire stage (the first time we were to the side and missed part of the story in the stage dressings).

I saw a few of the actors from different pieces at the Fringe, which was fun. Everyone seemed to be supporting everyone else.

With a different persepective, and a different night, the show came alive in a different fashion. Some of the surprise had left the piece, like the skittering spider part, however, the story and the acting withstood the loss of my innocence.

Whereas some of the pieces at the Fringe showed different or updated visions of an older story, Arachne told the myth set in the time and place of its origin. "We tell the same stories over and over again." "If we're lucky and we have a story where we're really smart or really clever, then we tell that story over and over again." Her retelling of this ancient tale not only brought the myth to life again but also gave me a glimpse into the eyes of an angry Goddess and I felt the loss of faith that Arachne purported keenly.

"I am here in the corner, where you don't want me. But I am still here."

No comments: