Monday, August 14, 2006

Monday Night

I love my writing group.

Tonight we had possibly the biggest turn out since, well, since ever. When I got there, EDog, Survivor, Apogee and Julie were already there. DJ and Marie showed up just after I got there. Even Eric came back (and I got a hug!). My biggest surprise was seeing Survivor, who I didn't expect until November sometime (yay for surprises!!).

Right now I'm listening to Bowling For Soup's High School Never Ends... this is a total non-sequiter, however, it's hilarious...

Still care about your hair and the car you drive, it doesn't matter if your 16 or 35...
The whole damn world is just as obsessed with who's the best dressed and who's having sex...
Who's got the money, who's got the honeys, who's kinda cute and who's just a mess
And I still don't have the right look, and I still have the same three friends, and I'm pretty much the same as I was back then

Ok, back to the regularly scheduled post... where was I? Oh, loving my writing group... Anyway, it was a bit overwhelming to have everyone there. EDog is always good at superfocusing and ignoring all the distractions (of which I am one at times, I know). He actually wrote with headphones on, but I'm not sure how much got done, what with all the circus in front of him. Apogee was helping everyone out who needed IT support (we gather at an internet cafe with free wireless), Survivor hung out and talked dirty with me (ok, not really dirty, but flirty dirty). DJ and I usually chat quite a lot, both IM and in person, but the group dynamic (and seating arrangements) seemed to change that tonight. He had a lot of great ideas that never panned out (mostly to do with Apogee and something about tongues). Marie was pretty quiet, and couldn't stay long, but it was very nice to see her for the short time she could stay. Julie occupied Apogee in a laptop buying advising type role for a while then chatted happily with Survivor while I tried to unbreak my IM program (with Apogee leaning over me in that 'I'm a tech, don't mind me and give me your mouse' way). To be honest, I think I'm picking that up at work, the gimme your mouse and let me steer... Of course, sometimes it's better to let the user steer, which is why I'll always be a trainer and probably never IT support. (Gimme the damn mouse!)

Mostly, if I could have the hanging out and the getting writing done both, a nice balance, I'd be in heaven.

Thanks everybody for coming out. I had a great night!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

He *would* come back just when I've signed up for a 7-8pm Monday class.

Le sigh.

Ian said...

1100 words, in case you're still wondering. Plus I hung out and chatted too. :-P

Ian

Joy said...

Mia - sorry about that. But we got a nice picture for you... and the class won't last forever.

Ian - awesome word count! I know you did, I'm just always impressed with your dedication.

Anonymous said...

I know, I got the picture. I'm so jealous. :P

I *might* be able to zip over after. But I'd really only make it in time for cookies.

But then again, it's an English class, so skipping it for writing group isn't *that* big of a deal . . .

Joy said...

I'll be waiting with bated breath. What kinda cookie do you want??

Rose said...

Yeah, I was quiet. Sorry about that. I had a lot on my mind that night, and was preparing to do something I really didn't want to do. I promise to be more focused next time...