Friday, August 25, 2006

Flying Solo

Friday afternoon, I got an email from DJ, he was unable to make it out on Friday night. I pulled out the festival schedule to see if there was anything I wanted to change about the shows we planned on seeing. Luckily, the shows were all in the Dairy Center for the Arts, a nice central location, close to some good eats and relatively easy to park near.

I got off work early, due to summer hours and drove into Boulder. The sky was overcast a bit, with the sun peeking out at different times. By the time I got to the Dairy, it had warmed considerably and I decided to run by Noodles for a bite to eat. With my book (the reading of which I wouldn't be noting on my CV, as it would mean I didn't like to socialize), I walked down to the restaurant and ordered a nice trio of breaded Parmesan chicken, mushroom stroganoff, and a caesar salad (with real grated Parmesan cheese on it). Quite tasty, and I read my book for about an hour before heading back to the venue.

By now, it was raining lightly, like it had last Saturday walking back from *Bux (which, incidentally is next to Noodles). I went into the Dairy to get my tickets and I got a chance to meet Sophie Nimmannit, the artist and actor in Arachne. She was very personable and genuinely excited to hear feedback. Later, while waiting in line, she put on the Athena mask (with mirrors for eyes, which just felt so right for a Goddess) and handed out flyers to her show.

The first show I saw was Something is Rotten, a very off beat version of Hamlet, with puppets, a goldfish as Ophelia, a construction truck as a very convincing Laertes, and a ghost sock with pink stripes. As before in many of the shows we saw at the Fringe Festival, the actors continually broke the fourth wall. All in all it was funny and entertaining, definitely something unique in the treatment of Hamlet.

After a brief break, while the stage was set for the next performance, I found myself in the same seat (front row stage left section). The Decameron Project had large imposing asymetrical blocks for the staging, looking almost like rock formations or distant mountains. Later in the show, everyone had a start when one of the big crags came crashing down by mistake with a thunderclap.

Set in a future where mankind seemed to be nearly destroyed by an undefined plague, six survivors told each other stories to keep the dark at bay and remind themselves of their essential humanity. Some of the stories, like the Family Bed and the Office Sex Toy (my titles, not theirs) touched a deep vein of humor and sexual banter. Others, like Come Back After Death and Wrong Therapist, had humor laced with a piercing meaning, reminding us all of what it is to be human. While the actors physically broke the fourth wall by leaving the stage and sitting on the floor before it, they never spoke to the audience. I loved the storytelling aspect and how the others would participate in acting out the story. It gave a richness of experience and allowed the players to be different people all within the context of the show. Serious, but ultimately uplifting.

After the last show, I was quite tired, and left the beautiful Boulder valley to wind my way home. One more punch for tomorrow and the Boulder International Fringe Festival will be over, at least for me, until next year.

No comments: