Sunday, August 27, 2006

Punk Rock 101

Before the Get Happy Tour concert tonight, I met Girlzoot at Brothers BBQ on Washington and 6th Avenue. My KC Brisket tickled my tastebuds greatly, and the sweet bbq sauce tasted just fine. We talked, and listened as we finished our tasty meals.

After finding a good spot to park by Charlie's, we wandered across the street to get our tickets at will call and stand in line. While getting the tickets, we watched some of the members of the various bands (mostly the folks from Bowling for Soup) cross Colfax with a darling french bulldog named Sherman (which GZ found out later). At previous concerts, I have always delighted in seeing part or all of the band before the show.

While we waited in line, Mitch joined us. It really made me happy that the three of us could get together for the concert. While we have kept up in various ways over the last year since Kerri's funeral, it felt good to all be together.

Once inside the Ogden, I noticed that the upstairs had expanded quite a bit, and had wings coming out toward the stage along the walls. It took a few minutes to register this, seeing as I hadn't been in the theatre for a couple of years.

Since this was a 16+ show, we had to prove our age to get up to the balcony where the drinks were. Our tight neon orange bracelets made quite a fashion statement, going very well with our Batgirl and Tinkerbell t-shirts (can you guess which was mine?)

We had a few drinks and I made some impromptu earplugs (so out of practice). Before the show we got in some chatting and talking and laughed quite a bit.

Four bands performed, Army of Freshman, Punchline, Lucky Boys Confusion, and Bowling for Soup. Though I didn't know anything of the first 3 bands but Girlzoot's good word, after they finished, I discovered I definitely like their music. We bought a Lucky Boys Confusion EP for $5, and I now have three albums in my iTunes shopping cart. And I'm looking forward to the new BFS album coming in November *whoot*

The Bowling for Soup set had a total of one song I didn't know, which in itself was awesome, but they also played every song I wanted to hear (Surf Colorado, Ohio, 1985, Two Seater, Girl All the Bad Guys Want, Punk Rock 101, The Last Rock Show, Get Happy). I'm going to be buzzing on this for a while.

Thanks Mitch and Girlzoot for coming out! I had a great time and we should do it again soon (or something like it).

Whooo hooo!

No comments: