Sunday, August 20, 2006

A Fringing we will go

Second helping of the Boulder Fringe Festival today. The first performance was at the Trident Bookstore out on the back patio, which had a sand box and a high ceilinged covered section. We saw Curriculum Vitae by Jimmy Hogg, the Brit who approached us yesterday to come see his show. It was wicked funny. During the performance he went from wearing a bathrobe to dressing himself for an interview. We got Star Wars references, surreal moments from my own life, and audience interaction. I would see this one again, if there weren't so many other shows I have planned.

After the show, DJ and I walked down Pearl Street and the entire length of the mall. As I am not a frequent patron of the mall, I walked pretty slow and did a bit of window oogling. I also noticed an It's Your Move game store (one of my weaknesses). We had a quick dinner and walked to the Boulder Museum of Contemporary Art for the second show of the evening.

The performance was upstairs in a space with seating on three sides. Before we were seated, we wandered around the galleries with both wood and metal sculptures and paintings with some mixed media. There was also a scary looking open lift. *shiver* My life long fear of heights kicked in and I stepped back while DJ investigated. It did look interesting, sort of reminded me a bit of the lifts in Metropolis (which I need to retrieve from who I lent it to).

Arachne was a one woman show with puppets and masks. The artist came out in a full spider outfit and skittered across the floor in a very realistic, and somewhat creepy, manner. (Note, I am not overly fond of spiders, I try to refrain from screaming when seeing one) The interpretation of the myth explored the story from Arachne's point of view. I quite enjoyed it.

Afterward, we walked through City Park, under Broadway, and over Boulder Creek. Running water sounds soothing and always captures my attention. We stopped momentarily on the bridge where the creek ran under our feet.

Before I knew it, I was back in my own car driving home with a smile on my face. I could get used to this.

No comments: