Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sestina for Kerri

Sestina for Kerri

I still remember the day we met, Kerri
How you shared with me your brilliant smile
Our friendship blossomed and soon after
Inseparable much of the time
We played on the roof beneath the stars
And laughed as snow fell in cold moonlight

Among our friends you always were the light
Bright laughter sparkled in your eyes, Kerri
Your home shone like a beacon; it was the star
We orbited eager to share your smile
Arcades and games filled our time
With much giggling after

We grew and laughed and planned for after
High school days that finished fast as light
Soon we tasted freedom, unfettered by time
Remember midnight bowling or Jon at Foothills, Kerri?
Puppy and ferret antics would make us smile
Your love of animals always shone like a star

Then for a while you followed a different star
Your travels and freedom came only after
You searched for home and for a moment lost your smile
Somehow you managed to retain the light
Of your bright blue eyes and easy way, Kerri
And let yourself settle down for a time

Family ties called you forth after a time
Spent with friends in your hot tub beneath the stars,
Along with dancing to fiery rhythms, Kerri,
And hours spent discussing literature even after
You decided to move to back the heat and light
Of the Texas sun that always made you smile

What happened to that beautiful smile?
It shines now only in snapshots of time
Taken in long lost shafts of sunlight
Now you live in gentle twilight as the stars
Twinkle softly above the earth and only after
My eyes have dried do I smile, thinking of you, Kerri.

In my heart you smile at things I whisper beneath those stars
In my heart I hold close our time, making new memories so after
We meet again in the Light we can share them together, Kerri.

4 comments:

Kevyn said...

*huggs*

Joy said...

Thank you, sweetie.

Anonymous said...

Jenn,

Thanks so much for writing this for Kerri. She would have loved the fact that someone took the time to write something for her. You have always been very special to her. My only wish is that she could be here to read it!

Joy said...

Linda,

Thank you for your kind words. It was the least I could do for all she's done for me. I think Kerri knows all we've said and written and thought about her in the last year.

Much Love!